Thursday, January 25, 2007

The laundry is laughing at me

Last night was our first hope group for the semester, yeah! It was a lot of fun and the Lord brought some amazing people. God is so good! One thing that he has been trying to teach me with hope group and really with anyone coming over is to relax and enjoy them. In the past I have been so freaked out about making sure that our home was clean and nice for when people came over. I am kind of weird in that I actually like to clean. I like for things to be nice and pretty and clean. I used to clean when I was a kid too, so it has carried with me though the years. Anyway, I was so focused on cleaning and not focused on the wonderful people we were going to get to have in our home. Not only that I was so focused on cleaning I was not paying attention to the two sweet little people in our home. Lately the Lord has really tried to tell me to slow down and enjoy our babies while they are little. What other time in life can you make them laugh with the most simple, silly thing. I remember making a silly face a Jack the other day and he would just laugh like it was the most funniest thing in the whole world. I was thinking, wow, when else will I be able to make him laugh at such a little thing. Hopefully it will always be like that. But, it might not. So, I need to enjoy it, really enjoy that. And it is the same way with people coming over. Who cares if they see our home a mess? In light of eternity what does that matter? I'm not saying I shouldn't be a good steward of the home He has given us, but I need to love people more than caring about what someone will think if they see our home at the end of the day.

God is good and He put me with an amazing husband. His idea of clean and my idea are a little different. But, this is good. My husband would rather our home have toys on the floor, dishes in the sink, and a hideous pile of laundry, as long as the people in our home are not stressed out and grouchy, ie me. For my husband to come home and have a wife who is relaxed and babies who are so excited to see him means more to him than a spotless home. I'm not saying I should never clean up, or anything like that. Not all families and husbands are the same. If the Lord put me with someone who is as insane about cleaning as me, it would not be good. I should praise the Lord for the man I get to be married to and take his word about just relaxing and enjoying each other and those around us. You really get to know others better when you don't try to clean up everything and make things seem to be what they're not.
Well, enough rambling. I think I am going to try and tackle that pile of laundry that is laughing at me while Josh is at rehearsal and the babies are asleep.

4 comments:

Kathryn, Michael and Alex said...

From one compulsive cleaner to another, we do need to relax and enjoy.
Time is going by too fast not to stop and marvel at what God has given us.
I am glad God is growing you in this area!!

Carpio Family said...

Ack! Laundry, My laughs at me too, well not Mine. But Carlos' work clothes. They are in the bottom of the basket and they make it seem like the basket's full, even thought there's just one days worth of clothes in there.

Plus i think they mock me because i don't wash them, and they have to sit there until Thurs. every week. They secretly know i would wash them if they weren't so nasty with mud and whatever else is on them.

texasmcvays said...

I think it was Dobson that said if two people are exactly the same then one of them is not needed! I like to clean to and I have to balance that against my family and friends. It's hard to relax before Hope group. But as the folks become more familar you are able to calm take it easy as time goes on. God bless you for opening your home to folks! Have you study the story of Mary & Martha in the Bible...its about sitting at the feet of God!

Hendrick Family said...

I loved reading your blog today, Sarah! What a blessing you are to your family...and our church family!!